?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Cincinnati Woes

I still have not received notification from Cincinnati on whether I've been accepted or on whether they would grant me another audition. I decided to call today to check on the status of my application.

When I called, they told me that they had not received my application fee. (!!!) They had sent me a letter in April to tell me the same, and I had immediately called them to straighten out the situation. They told me at that time that I was all set. But, apparently, I wasn't.

According to my bank, a $90 check was sent to the Graduate School at the University of Cincinnati on March 10 and cleared on March 26. NetBank will be faxing me a proof of payment that I can then forward to Cincinnati. Until Cincinnati is convinced that I have paid, though, they won't even forward my application to the Admissions Committee.

Since I was on the phone with them, I asked about the letter I sent requesting a second audition. I was told they had not received that, even though I sent it in the same package as other materials they had received. So, I faxed them another copy.

When I called them back to verify receipt of the fax, I spoke with the Dean of Admissions. He said he recalled receiving the letter in March, but that Cincinnati does not usually grant second auditions, regardless of circumstance. I asked what my options were, since I knew that my audition was not good. He agreed that it was not a good audition, and that he and the voice faculty had reviewed it and would not be recommending me for admissions based on it. He did say he will ask the faculty if they will consider reviewing a tape if I send one in. He will let me know, but I am not optimistic.

Anyway, it looks like I am stuck here until January at the earliest. <sigh> I'll reapply in the fall for Cincinnati's spring term and will send applications to various other voice graduate programs. My applications will be stronger in the fall because I am already a far more secure performer than I was in March, thanks to all the singing I've been doing since February. Still, I want to get on with my career and move out of this miserable town already!

Comments

( 3 comments — Leave a comment )
treacle_well
May. 24th, 2004 01:33 pm (UTC)
Urgh. How frustrating and disappointing!

I am personally pleased to have you around the area for a few more months, but that pleasure is certainly dulled by the knowledge that you don't particularly want to be here, and that you're being temporarily thwarted in important goals. :-(

am0
May. 25th, 2004 05:34 pm (UTC)
I survived many years in Panama beyond the time I wanted to leave. You can survive in Boston, as I did in Panama, by working on keeping a good mental attitude despite the fubar situation you find yourself in.
spwebdesign
May. 25th, 2004 07:52 pm (UTC)
No, the clock is ticking on my career very late. I have delayed my career much too long because I foolishly kept trying to make money and pay off debts. Singing is like athletics: nobody drafts a 30-year-old football player. The longer I stay in this situation, the less promising my prospects.
( 3 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

December 2016
S M T W T F S
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner