Panama (spwebdesign) wrote,

Today was another gloriously beautiful day. Temps must have been in the high 80s or low 90s. The sky was a beautiful turquoise with streaks of white here and there. Just heavenly!

I decided I wanted to spend the day in a park or somewhere else outdoors. However, I didn't want to go somewhere I'd feel crowded by tourists. Thus, Regent's Park and Battersea Park weren't options. I pulled out my A to Z and browsed for green spaces. The London Wetland Center looked interesting and, being in Zone 2, was less likely to be overrun by tourists.

After Mass I grabbed "breakfast," then hopped on the Tube to Hammersmith Station. I crossed the Hammersmith Bridge to the south bank of the Thames. I noticed a dirt trail along the Thames and decided to follow it.

It felt like the old 10-mile hikes along Culebra Gaillard Cut I used to take when I lived in Panamá. On one side was the Thames; on the other, wetlands. In Panamá, it was the Canal on one side, jungle or wetlands on the other. Here, I had one small boat and one raft go by on the water; in Panamá it was huge cargo ships, often Panamax class. In both, the weather was pleasantly summery.

When I got to the actual Wetland Center, the entrance to the trails within the wetlands, I learned they charge an admission price, £7.50. Um, no, I can't afford that. Unless the big check I've been waiting three weeks for arrives very soon, I run out of money this week, so I don't have room for any but the most basic expenses.

Instead, I found a very comfortable bench on a semi-secluded trail near the entrance. It was next to a small bridge that connected two ponds, with ducks and other critters creating ambiance. I plopped myself down there and read for the next few hours. Then I passed up the bus in favor of the long walk back to Hammersmith Station, choosing to walk on the other side of the wetlands where I could check out all the mansions in the area.

On my way back, I walked past an interesting looking church. I had been late to Mass this morning, missing the readings and homily; this church had an evening mass in half an hour. I decided to attend. Nothing special, but I'm glad I went nonetheless.

I came home, fixed myself a salad for dinner, and joined some housemates in the garden. It seemed a sin to spend anymore time indoors than necessary while it was still light out. Well past 10 p.m., there was still light in the sky. It was a relaxing close to a relaxing day.
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 1 comment