- Portis, Charles — True Grit (215 pages)
- Simpson, Joe — Touching the Void (210 pages)
- Bardin, John Franklin — The Last of Philip Banter (207 pages)
- Millar, Martin — The Good Fairies of New York (278 pages)
- Millar, Mark — Kick-Ass (190 pages)
- Sachar, Louis — Holes (225 pages)
- Baxter, Stephen — Moonseed (523 pages)
- Buchan, John — The Thirty-Nine Steps (152 pages)
- Bukowski, Charles — Post Office (167 pages)
- Palahniuk, Chuck — Fight Club (211 pages)
- Bemelmans, Ludwig — Madeline's Rescue (50 pages)
Page count: 2428.
I was browsing through a charity shop on Friday, knowing that Mad was coming to visit in the evening. I saw this little title and, even though the name's misspelled, I thought I would get it for her as a little treat.
It's a cute story, about a spunky little girl who falls into a river whilst showing off and is rescued by a dog, which she and her companions adopt. There are a few complications, and a lovely resolution, all appropriate to a book for small children.